Thursday, April 16, 2015

Frankly my dear, I don't give a straw....

It just doesn't have the same ring as the final line, does it?  I never realized there was a whole list of alternative lines ready to go, just in case the producers of Gone With the Wind couldn't get approval to say "damn" on the big screen.  It's amazing how times have changed.  We go from needing approval to say "damn" and "hell" in a major motion picture, to being allowed to use all sorts of language on 30 minute TV shows.

Honestly, I can't imagine that line being any different.  "I don't give a straw" or "I don't give a hoot" would have just ruined the character of Rhett for me.  Also, my Daddy wouldn't have had his signature line, either.  I remember being a kid and finally asking him what he meant, and who Frank was!  He just laughed.  I really don't remember him ever explaining it to me, and I don't remember how I finally found out.  But, once I knew what he meant, I would just crack up at the confused looks of others when they would hear it....knowing they were wondering the same thing I had once wondered.  (I took pity on most, and explained it to them...)

I can't believe it's been a week since we buried my Daddy.  Today was my first day back to work, and it was tough, but not as bad as I thought it would be.  I was overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness and generosity shown to me today.  My job is tough, but the people I work with make it better.

I'm glad to have learned to develop and cultivate new friendships, especially in light of recent events in my life.  My newer friends have helped me so much during this sad time, when lifelong friendships failed me. And, without going into details about it, I am glad to say what Donny Joe would have said about it..."You know Frank."
Daddy, I love and miss you.  I thank you for helping me to become the woman I am.  I know you won't mind that I've adopted your signature line.

Until next time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment